END OF LEASE CLEANING GUIDE
The last thing you want to think about when you’re moving house is the cleaning… but failing to do so can be costly! If you want your bond back (which of course everybody does) you’re going to have to put in some serious effort.
Failing to return your property in the same state you received it in will equate to forgoing your bond, which is generally equivalent to one month’s rent in Melbourne… a handy sum!
Not to be underestimated!
End of lease cleaning is not like your average “spring clean”. Real Estate Agencies and Landlords in Melbourne expect much more than a wipe-down and a vacuum… we’re talking places and appliances that have probably never been cleaned properly: light fixtures, wall paper, ovens, patios, ceiling fans, stubborn bathroom grime and hard to reach places you’ve never considered trying to clean! Trust us, they’ll find it, and they’ll deduct your returns.
While you may be confident and able to do the cleaning yourself, we strongly advise you have a read of these 16 Quick Tips before you start:
- Start cleaning once completely ‘moved out’, so you don’t have to work around furniture and belongings.
- Have a system: we recommend ‘top down’ approach – starting with ceilings, skirting corners, light fixtures, ceiling fans… and working down to carpet.
- Window coverings, such as drapes, blinds and curtains are regularly overlooked, and a target for agencies. Consider laundering any detachable curtains or drapes.
- Don’t forget kitchen appliances: oven, stovetop (including stove hood), refrigerator (including freezer), microwave and dishwasher – clean and degrease!
- Try to use natural products whenever possible, as they wont leave behind a nasty chemical odors.
- Double-check every inch of kitchen and pantry walls for grease and food splatters and stains.
- Take all cutleries, utensils and cooking equipment out of cupboards and draws (even stuff you don’t own) to clean underneath, before putting back in place.
- When cleaning bathrooms: tubs, showers, sinks and toilets, don’t neglect the tiles, grout lines and fixtures.
- When wiping down countertops and cupboards, don’t forget the edges of doors, as well as inside cupboards and drawers.
- For furniture that came with the house, still ensure you empty and clean the furniture, and move it to clean under or behind, before returning to original position.
- Vacuum thoroughly, and genuinely consider renting a steam cleaner or having carpets professionally cleaned for best results.
- After moping, a test of cleanliness is when a damp white towel wiped on the floor comes up clean.
- Seems like a joke, but honestly where socks or slippers once down to the floors to avoid re-soiling floors.
- Don’t forget to wipe all doorknobs, drawer pulls, closet handles, etc.… these are often the first things to be checked.
- Clean mirrors, windows and other shiny surfaces until there are absolutely no streaks.
- Finally, make sure you remove any rubbish or debris from the premises, because otherwise you might be charged for its disposal.
Golden Tip – Seek Professional Assistance!
The truth is, Real Estate Agencies and Landlords in Melbourne have developed a bit of a ‘bad guy’ image by adopting a rather ruthless approach to cleaning expectations – but to be fair – almost all agencies recommend seeking professional assistance for end of lease cleaning, to avoid the inconvenience altogether.
Professional end of lease cleaners know exactly what real estate agents and landlords are looking for, and exactly how to ensure a property is vacated in the best condition for tenants to receive their full bond back. In this sense, end of lease cleaning should be looked at as an investment, as the money you spend more often than not you are saving from bond deductions.
Perhaps more importantly than money saving, property vacate cleaning services save you time, and worry! Anybody who has moved out before knows what a stressful time this can be, and not having to spend the weekend frantically trying to make the place look spick and span is well worth the investment.
For further information, enquiries or bookings of end of lease cleaning services, contact Main in Melbourne today!